US or Canada
Reporting to the Creative Director, the Editorial Designer is responsible for the execution of the graphic and layout design and typesetting of our editorial pieces. This includes the production of a variety of layout needs for Yaqeen including but not limited to papers, books, and curriculum products.
- Maintain a consistent visual identity across all designs while customizing per medium.
- Understand brand, brand standards and how to apply across all mediums.
- Maintain an organized workflow and complete assignments quickly and efficiently.
- Utilize various graphic software programs to design and produce multiple page layouts for print and digital.
- Demonstrate confidence and a collaborative attitude with all team members.
- Adhere to established branding guidelines, policies and graphic standards throughout all design tasks.
- Assist with any other marketing duties as required depending on the department’s and product needs.
- Take creative direction and design critique well and adapt designs when required.
- Able to meet multiple deadlines, prioritize work, and keep projects moving forward.
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously and exhibit great attention to detail.
- Strong design portfolio with a minimum of 3–5 or more years of experience working with print, editorial content, and typography.
- University diploma or degree in Graphic Design with a leaning to print layout.
- Have impeccable skill with print production, layout, composition, typography and typesetting. Portfolio must demonstrate competency in these areas.
- Excellent understanding of typography and fine typesetting, while being very detail-oriented and able to maintain brand consistency.
- Experience with editorial illustration and expressive typography is an asset.
- Ability to adapt design to different styles — take art direction and assist Creative Director in the creation of artwork.
- Love of typography and a keen eye for layout. Demonstrated competency in composition and page design and how images and text will go together on a page or screen in printed or digital format.
- Deliver quality work while adhering to the production schedule and deadlines.
- Advanced/expert knowledge in the Adobe Creative Cloud package particularly Photoshop, Illustrator, & InDesign.
- Adaptable to work independently, set and prioritize projects to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Past work experience and demonstrated competency with books, publishing, magazine or newspapers.
- Self-starter with the ability to work well independently, and collaborate well with creative direction.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills and work well with others and as part of a team.
- Must be able to visualize, analyze, and organize Islamic academic research through working knowledge of the basic beliefs, values, and practices of Islam.