What makes Yaqeen zakat-eligible?
It is the opinion of many scholars that da’wah efforts and organizations are a valid recipient of zakat funding, and the bulk of Yaqeen’s work can be characterized as da’wah.
“According to the fourth declaration of the eighth conference of the Islamic Fiqh Council, it is valid to use zakat for the propagation of Islam and answering misconceptions about it. This position is adopted by a very large number of contemporary scholars. They consider dawah to be included in the category of ‘fi sabeel-illah’ mentioned in the verse of Surat at-Tawbah detailing the deserving recipients of zakat. Since the purpose of Yaqeen Institute is ‘establishing conviction in the hearts and minds of Muslims, and battling the false notions that underlie Islamophobia and extremism,’ it is a legitimate recipient of zakat.”
Dr. Hatem al-Haj, Scholar, Fatwa Committee of Assembly of Muslim Jurists of America. Dean, Mishkah University
There is a valid difference of opinion on this topic among the scholars, and we encourage all donors to follow their scholars or scholarly councils in this regard. The following are additional resources for further reading on zakat for research and da’wah-based efforts:
- Text of the 4th Declaration of the 8th Conference of the Islamic Fiqh Council
- Zakat-Eligibility of Research-Based Organizations by the Assembly of Muslim Jurists of America Resident Fatwa Committee
- The Permissibility of Zakat for Islamic Dawah Organizations: A Detailed Analysis by Sh. Tawfique Chowdhury
How are Yaqeen’s zakat funds directed?
Zakat donations to Yaqeen are used to fund operations, which are considered da'wah in that they aim to dismantle doubts and clarify misconceptions about Islam while working towards building conviction in the truth of Islam. These efforts include:
- Researching and publishing peer-reviewed papers on topics that are sources of doubt for many Muslims.
- Transforming research papers into accessible community resources such as Yaqeen Curriculum™ and Conviction Circles™.
- Providing all content with creative treatment so that it is accessible and relevant to the intended audience.
- Informing local communities about Yaqeen resources and supporting their adoption of our content and programs.
- Optimizing content and online platforms so that Yaqeen reaches and personally inspires individuals across the globe.
- Engineering resources on the back end so that the user experience is always accessible, smooth, and cutting-edge.
Does the zakat that Yaqeen collects support salaries?
Yes, zakat donations do support salaries, as most of the results achieved by Yaqeen arise from the hard work of its staff. Salaries compose the bulk of annual operating expenses.
What is the timeline used for distributing zakat funds received by Yaqeen?
Zakat donations received are monitored on a quarterly basis to ensure they are expended within one year of receipt.
Do zakat donations to Yaqeen support the endowment (waqf)?
No, because they would then no longer be expended within one year of receipt. Our endowment funds are invested to grow over time, supporting Yaqeen’s long-term financial sustainability. Please note that this is why we have two separate designations on our donation pages.
If you have any questions about our zakat policy, please contact [email protected].