Chief Marketing Officer (CMO)
USA or Canada
We are looking for a seasoned marketing executive who will own the strategy for the full spectrum of marketing: our core and new products, our brand and visibility, etc. As the CMO, you'll oversee and implement a holistic marketing strategy across all our channels. Reporting to the CEO, you will work closely with the rest of the executive team. The CMO will work with the CEO, CPO and other executives to translate and articulate the vision, support programs/campaigns with marketing, communications, and digital resources. The CMO is responsible for planning, executing, and developing digital marketing campaigns, building awareness, lifting the brand, and increasing visibility. The CMO will also co-manage and oversee our media department, which creates our content. The successful candidate will come with a solid experience in customizing marketing strategies to different segments.
- Responsible for defining, implementing, and owning an end-to-end marketing strategy across channels with a focus on balancing growth and investment efficiency.
- You will orchestrate and own the execution of the marketing plan with joint responsibility for the marketing budget.
- Overseeing the following departments: the Marketing, Creative (Design) and Media (e.g., video production) and building a deep understanding of how they work.
- Responsible for all broad marketing-related functions, e.g. marketing design, growth, organic social media, paid social media, etc.
- Spearhead our digital fundraising campaigns.
- Work closely and in collaboration with the CPO organization to understand their objectives and challenges across geographies, segments, and channels to produce effective demand generation campaigns and messaging.
- Inspire and manage your direct reports and develop and build a best in class marketing, creative and media team.
- 10+ years of experience, including in a senior marketing leadership role.
- Deep expertise in web-based and digital strategies, including digital fundraising/online campaign development and social media.
- Effective communicator who is able to build relationships to drive change, and a strong organizational leader with experience collaborating with other leaders.
- Strategic, innovative, and creative thinker with excellent presentation skills, project management skills, and relationship-building skills.
- Productive prior partnerships with product leaders.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, with a reputation for integrity and ownership.
- Knowledgeable about current marketing best practices and trends.
- Experience marketing to multiple segments with strong understanding of current marketing best practices and trends.
- Thrives in a metric-driven environment.
- Passionate about the mission of the organization and its values.
To apply for this position please complete and submit the assignment below. Applications will not be considered without a completed assignment included.
To succeed in this role, you need to be comfortable driving Yaqeen’s marketing strategy, operationalizing the strategy and leading execution.
We understand that you might have past experience in some of the areas below but not others, and that is okay. What we do expect from the person in this role is that they’ll be excited about developing their skills in new areas, be autonomous in acquiring this learning (e.g., sign up for an online course), and won’t be afraid to get in the weeds. This role requires someone who is comfortable looking at data, analyzing it and providing insights/recommendations from data.
For all the questions, feel free to choose the format that you prefer to use to write your answers (e.g., document, deck, etc.)
***The following question is required from all candidates:
It is your first week at Yaqeen institute and you are handed this marketing data. Yaqeen’s leadership team asks you: What insights could you get/conclude from this data? Based on these insights, are there hypotheses/deep dive questions you’d want to further explore? If yes, what are they?
***Please choose one question to answer from the three questions below. If you want to answer more than one, you are welcome to, but we don’t expect you to.
1- Look through Yaqeen’s website. What recommendations do you have on how to improve the website to enhance engagement and to improve SEO? For any recommendations you have that are page-specific, please make sure to specify the page(s) and list the recommendation(s) that you have.
2-Look through Yaqeen’s social media platforms. What recommendations do you have on how to improve certain platforms to enhance engagement? Specify the platform(s) and list the recommendations that you have.
3- Part of our fundraising is digital fundraising campaigns. If you google “Yaqeen Fundraising”, you’ll see examples of the various types of digital fundraising that Yaqeen leads. Look through them and let us know what recommendations you have on how Yaqeen can improve its digital fundraising. Make sure to include the link of the digital fundraising effort and list the recommendation(s) that you have.
*Please note the data provided has been altered and does not represent Yaqeen’s actual marketing data.
**To remind you, while the location is flexible, we require that the candidate is based in the US or Canada. As for work visa sponsorship, we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
Check out frequently asked questions about the CMO role here!